Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Borek (Turkish Turnovers)


Last week's post was so delicious, I figured I'd continue the trend. So today, in the next installment of Delicious Dough-Wrapped Foods of the Mediterranean, I go from Spanish empanadillas to Turkish borek. These savory turnovers take various forms, from tangy lamb-filled phyllo triangles to rich puff pastry spirals filled with cheese. Snack time gets stepped up! You can read about borek and find several recipes over at NPR's Kitchen Window.

And speaking of NPR stories about delicious foods from other lands, I direct you to a recent radio story about Culture Kitchen, a California company that employs first-generation immigrant women as cooking instructors. I had the good fortune to sit in on a recent class, and am still thinking about those recipes. It's somewhat amazing to realize how vast the culinary and cultural world can be, and the delicious wealth of kitchen stories that are all around us...


0 comments:

Post a Comment